A Guide to Hoop Earrings
You’ll find hoop earrings in a variety of styles–from small to large, simple to adorned with diamonds, and single to multiple loops. Hoop earrings date back to 4th century Africa, and they’re still popular today for men and women. They are a classic, versatile earring choice that will never go out of style.
Hoop Earring Options
Hoops continue to be a sought-after earring and you’ll find a variety of options to meet your style needs. You can find thin and chunky, thick hoop earrings in all sizes as well as some that are more simple, while others are decorated with gemstones, like diamonds. The hoop shape draws attention to your face, especially to your jawline and cheekbones. Some are heavier, while more are lightweight, but it generally depends on the thickness and adornment of the hoops.
Hoops will never go out of style, and there are endless options of styles. Here are some of the favorites:
- Simple Huggies: These tiny hoops get their name because they hug your ear lobes. They are subtle and elegant, but still eye-catching and flatter most face shapes. They’re great for active people who are on the go and prefer a minimal look. Huggies and small hoops are typically 10mm and under. They work well for those who usually wear their medium to long hair down because the small shape compliments long, flowing locks.
- Inside Out Hoops: These stunning earrings can have colorful gemstones or diamonds on the outside of the hoops or the inside. They are flattering and versatile–you can wear them everyday and for more special occasions. Inside out hoops look good in a medium-sized hoop (20-40 mm).
- Diamond Hoops: You’ll find a variety of diamond hoops in all sizes. The larger diamond hoops are more dramatic and eye-catching, but you can find small diamond hoops as well. These are a popular item because they can be worn forever without going out of style, and they go with everything. To draw attention to diamond hoops, pull the hair away from the face for more attention on your earrings.
- Pearl Hoops: Hoops adorned with pearls can be found in a variety of sizes. Pearls are classy and add a unique look to hoop earrings. Like other hoop earrings, these are versatile enough to go with a variety of styles, no matter the occasion.
- Geometric Hoops: A more unique twist on hoop earrings is the geometric hoop. These are minimalistic and subtle, and come in a variety of shapes–hexagon, triangle and some more unique shapes. They’re versatile and can be worn with any hairstyle or outfit. To draw attention to them, pull your hair back.
- Large Statement Hoops: These hoops are typically 50mm and over, and definitely make a bold statement because of their larger size. Larger hoops flatter every face shape, but tend to look best on those with more angular, elongated, or wide face shapes. You can wear large hoops with any hairstyle, but typically accentuate chic updos and other hairstyles that pull hair away from the face. Pulling the hair back to reveal large hoops highlights the earlobes and draws attention to the face.
- Double Hoops: As their name implies, these earrings have double hoops that are connected to a single earring post. The hoops are displayed in a variety of ways, and some feature colored gemstones or diamonds. Double hoops flatter most face shapes and hairstyles.
Hoop Earring Metal Choices
Like the variety of styles, you’ll find hoop earrings in different metals as well to fit your style:
- Sterling Silver: Sterling silver typically flatters more pale skin with cool undertones. This metal choice is a budget-friendly option and is hypoallergenic.
- Yellow Gold: 14K Yellow gold typically flatters skin with warm undertones.
- White Gold: 14K White gold tends to flatter more pale skin with cool undertones.
- Rose Gold: 14K Rose gold flatters both cool and warm undertones, and can be more affordable than yellow or white gold.
Hoop Earring Care
Keep earrings stored in separate compartments, either in a drawer or an organizer that hangs from a hook or closet rod. Delicate hoop earrings can get damaged by other jewelry. When shopping for hoop earrings, keep your budget, lifestyle and versatility of the earrings in mind. You can find hoop earrings for a variety of occasions–adorned with diamonds or simple versions.
Are hoops earrings in fashion?
Hoop earrings are always fashionable because they’re a timeless and classic jewelry piece, they’re available in a variety of shapes and sizes, and can fit any occasion.
Can I wear hoop earrings to work?
Yes, hoop earrings can be worn to work. Typically smaller or medium-sized earrings are more work appropriate rather than larger, more dramatic hoops.
Do hoop earrings look good on round faces?
Some say large, round hoops overemphasize the already circular shape of the face, but this depends on bone structure, hair, etc. Thin, smaller hoops compliment round faces, as well as other face shapes. With the variety of styles of hoop earrings, you’re destined to find a pair that looks amazing.
What outfits look best with hoop earrings?
Hoop earrings go well with a variety of outfits and styles because they’re classic and versatile. You can dress them up or down because they work from day to night. However, this truly depends on your style. For example, larger earrings tend to be more bold, so may be more suitable for a night out.
Do hoops suit everyone?
Hoops suit everyone because they’re available in a variety of lengths and styles, and compliment outfits–from casual to a night out. From thin to chunky, from simple to extravagant, you can find the perfect hoop earring for your style.
Top Selling Hoop Earrings
starting at: $940