Rise of the Cuff Bracelet
Cuff bracelets elevate any look and work well with any style–whether you’re going for casual, sporty, professional or dressed up. These versatile pieces look good when worn alone or stacked for a more of a statement. You can express your personal style with any outfit.
Introduction to Cuff Bracelets
Before we dive in, what exactly is a cuff bracelet? Cuff bracelets slide onto the wrist and have an opening that generally rests along the inside of the wrist. Cuff bracelets don’t typically have clasps or hinges because they don’t wrap entirely around the wrist. You’ll find bracelets in a variety of widths and materials, like metal, leather and either adorned or more minimalist.
Although cuff bracelets seem like a newer trend, they’ve been around for 7,000 years. Ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Mayans, Chinese, and Romans wore cuffs as status markers and talismans of protection. Ancient bracelets were made of metal or leather and adorned with etchings, mythical creatures, or gemstones.
Today’s cuff bracelets complete everyday looks as well as a special night out. They can be worn solo or stacked, kept simple or more glam…you get to create the look you want. You can mix textures, metals or keep it simple. The choice is yours!
Evolution of Cuff Bracelets
As mentioned, cuff bracelets have been around for thousands of years and have evolved in their uses over time.
- Ancient times: Ancient civilizations wore cuff bracelets, including Egyptians, Mayans, Incas, Greeks, and Chinese. Mayans wore jewelry to showcase their royal attire, display their social class, and denote rank within a family. Egyptians wore bracelets as accessories. Greeks did the same but also wore cuffs to protect their wrists.
- Renaissance period: During this period, metal silver and gold bracelets became popular to wear to celebrations and festivals. This time focused on humanism, so jewelry became more popular.
- Modern times: Wider cuff bracelets grew popular in the 1970s. Famous jewelry makers created cuff bracelets that are still famous today, and movies like Wonder Woman even featured cuff bracelets as part of her costume.
The Versatility of Cuff Bracelets
A cuff bracelet is a versatile piece that can be worn day and night. You’ll find a wide range of styles, from simple, minimal metal versions to statement versions that catch the eye. You’ll see bracelets made of metal, plastic, leather, fabric, and others. What’s amazing about these classic pisces is that they accessorize any type of outfit, such as casual, formal, and everything in between.
The Popularity of Cuff Bracelets
Celebrities have helped increase popularity of cuff bracelets in recent years, and many designers have created their own versions. Celebrities and influencers have sported plenty of bracelets on the red carpet, such as Sophia Loren, Hailey Bieber, Liza Minnelli, Venus Williams, and Dakota Johnson. Some have stacked chunky cuffs on one wrist or on both. Their popularity has trickled down to street fashion. You’ll see stacked bracelets and solo cuffs. Take a look the next time you’re out and about. Another factor in popularity is accessibility. You can find so many different bracelet versions online, so more people can find the perfect bracelet for their style.
Trends in Cuff Bracelets
You’ll be surprised to know that there are many varieties of cuff bracelets. Below we’ve included some of them
- Stackable cuff bracelets: You can mix widths, materials, metals and create a unique, edgy stack of bracelets. If you plan on stacking bracelets, keep your other jewelry more minimal.
- Personalized cuff bracelets: Consider personalized cuff bracelets (they’d make a great gift to yourself or a loved one). For example, you can add an inspiring quote, mantra, name, or date.
- Chunky cuff bracelets: These statement bracelets are wide, dramatic, and eye-catching. They hug the wrist and come in a variety of designs, metals, and textures.
- Gemstone-studded cuff bracelets: You can find bracelets that have gemstone accents and others that are covered in gemstones. If you wear a more glitzy cuff bracelet, keep the rest of your jewelry more simple.
Cuff bracelets aren’t going away anytime soon. They’re a timeless style that’s available in an endless amount of designs so you’re sure to find the perfect bracelet for your style.
On which wrist should I wear a cuff bracelet?
For comfort reasons, if you’re left handed, wear your cuff bracelet on your right wrist. And if you’re right handed, place your cuff bracelet on your left wrist. If you’re feeling bold for a night out, wear bracelets on both wrists.
Are cuff bracelets still in fashion?
Yes, cuff bracelets are definitely in fashion. There are so many designs to choose from so you can find one that represents your style. Whether classic or trendy, cuff bracelets are here to stay (and have been for thousands of years). You can find chunky, stackable, personalized, and gemstone-studded bracelets.
Is a cuff bracelet only meant for women?
Both men and women wear cuff bracelets–you’ll find bracelets made of metal, leather, and adorned with gemstones. No matter your style, you’ll be able to find bracelets to complete your look.
Are cuff bracelets good for everyday wear?
Cuff bracelets are a versatile piece of jewelry that can be worn everyday or saved for special occasions. Either worn alone or stacked to make a statement, bracelets elevate your look. Everyday bracelets need to be durable enough to be worn often, so ensure they’re made with high-quality materials.