Vintage Inspired Ruby Rings
Rubies: A Stone with a Rich History
Rubies have been a popular gemstone for thousands of years, dating back to the time of the ancient Egyptians. Also, ruby rings have been continuously popular over time. For centuries, ruby gemstones have been set in engagement rings, wedding rings, and other unique gemstone pieces. Moreover, rings featuring rubies are always in high demand. Due to their timeless beauty, and their classic look that never goes out of style.
Ruby Rarity & Allure
Rarity is a key feature of rubies. Also, their scarcity adds to their allure, especially when it comes to vintage ruby rings. In fact, the world's most expensive colored gemstone are rubies. Believe it or not, rubies are rarer than natural diamonds!
This vivid gem is historically associated with meanings of power, wealth, and royalty. In India, rubies are also known as "the lord of the gemstones" (where they have long been prized possessions). As the July birthstone and the traditional 40th wedding anniversary gift, rubies are a standout option. They are also beautiful choices for unique wedding rings and engagement rings.
Everyone from celebrities to members of the royal family has worn a stunning vintage ruby ring. Examples of famous ruby ring wearers include Jessica Simpson, Victoria Beckham, and Camilla Duchess of Cornwall.
Shopping for Rubies
When shopping for rubies, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Budget: This is one of the first things you should consider when shopping for a ring. Though rubies are extremely rare, and therefore expensive, there are options that accommodate a variety of budgets.
- Shape: Though rubies can technically be cut into any shape, the shapes that bring out the best qualities in the gemstone include- oval, round, princess/square, and heart.
- Size: Unlike most gems, rubies are measured by millimeters rather than by carat.
- Source: Rubies can be either natural or unnatural. With many gems, treated stones can provide a great option. However, with rubies, natural stones are a much better choice, because the treatments used don’t always react well, resulting in a lower quality gem.
Vintage Inspired Ruby Rings
Vintage-inspired rings add elements of interest, uniqueness, and timelessness to your jewelry. If antique ruby rings fit your (or partner’s) style, there are things to know as you consider your options. Whether looking for a gemstone ring, a wedding ring, or an engagement ring, many options include the best style elements such as:
- Milgraining: This is a technique where tiny metal beads are used to add a design element to pieces of jewelry, typically in the form of an ornate border.
- Intricate/Scroll Metalwork: Many vintage rings include metalwork that features designs and motifs. Everything from leaves, to flowers, to even birds can be found in this style of incredible detailing.
- Halo: This style of setting encircles the center stone in smaller gems, making the center stone seem larger, and truly shine.
- Emerald Cut/Shape: This is one of the oldest styles of shapes for gemstone wedding and engagement rings, with examples dating back to the 1500s.
- Princess Cut/Shape: Popularized in the 1960s, this style will give any ring a vintage and retro flair
- Yellow Gold Band: A classic, yellow gold band was popular for centuries and remains a great way to incorporate a vintage element into modern jewelry. This metal choice definitely gives off a vintage gemstone ring feel.
Vintage Inspired Rings at With Clarity
At With Clarity, we’re proud to offer gemstone engagement rings in a wide range of styles that are sure to be perfect for any taste. Our gemstone engagement rings are available in 8 selections (Moissanite, Blue Sapphire, Ruby, London Blue Topaz, Peridot, Aquamarine, Amethyst, and Black Diamond). We also offer 6 shapes (Round, Princess, Cushion, Emerald, Oval, and Pear) that can be set in platinum, or 14k or 18kt white, yellow, rose gold settings.
Take a look at some of our most popular vintage-inspired gemstone rings:
This gorgeous, oval-cut ruby is accentuated by two accent diamonds. The stones are given an element of intricacy and detail with subtle, yet stunning metalwork that features classic milgrain design.
The name says it all. This ring is a classic showstopper. The yellow gold band brings out the vivid red hue of the center ruby, which is accented by a band of square-cut diamonds. The diamonds themselves are made even more beautiful with a detailed milgrain band.
This elegant design features a center ruby that is highlighted by a band of accent diamonds that is unique in its alternating shapes. The diamond band, which is surrounded by a milgrain border, alternates between marquise and round shapes. This ring definitely has some additional visual interest to a classic design.
This ring is perfect for anyone looking for an unconventional, yet delicate design. The solitaire ruby is offset by a widening band that scrolls and loops across the finger.
Not only does this ring feature a lovely center ruby and accent diamonds, but the diamonds themselves are actually set in a leaf pattern. Pave and bezel setting styles, and the hand milgraining shows beauty in the details of this vintage-inspired ring.
The east-west prong setting turns the traditional style of the solitaire ring on its head—-literally. This horizontally aligned center ruby is made even more brilliant with the simple yet striking yellow gold band.
Your eye will be immediately drawn to this truly mesmerizing center ruby that’s surrounded by a complete band of petite halo diamonds. The band is simple and elegant in order to really make the center stone stand out.