Eternity Ring Guide
Giving an eternity ring demonstrates your everlasting love and is a meaningful, symbolic gesture. Eternity rings are typically given to mark a special anniversary or relationship milestone, like the birth of a baby. An eternity ring features gemstones or diamonds set within a band that goes all around the finger. The band's shape symbolizes everlasting love because a circle doesn't have a beginning or an end.
Eternity rings aren't a newer trend - their origin can be traced back to around 4,000 years ago. Ancient Egyptians used eternity rings as tokens of eternal love and life. Ancient eternity rings were similar to the ones we see today.
Eternity Ring Designs
Eternity rings continue to gain popularity, and there are beautiful designs available. Browse online to get some design ideas and to help you create your budget. You'll have customizable design options including gemstone types, shapes, and color choices. There are rings in a variety of designs and price points.
In terms of style, there are bands that have stones all around the band and then some that are halfway around. The style choice depends on your personal preferences. Half eternity bands are typically easiest to clean because there are less gemstones for grime to hide behind.
You have numerous stone options including earth-mined diamonds, lab-created diamonds and gemstones. Diamonds continue to be the most popular choice. Lab-made diamonds continue to gain popularity because of their affordability and eco-friendliness.
You can also find eternity rings embellished with colorful gemstones. Select stones based on symbolism, birthstones, favorite color or the overall look of the ring. Some eternity bands feature a mixture of diamonds and colorful gemstones.
The final design option you have is the gemstone shape, and this one is important because it can drastically influence the overall look of the ring. Some women prefer gemstone shapes over others, but popular shapes include round, princess, cushion, and emerald. Round continues to be the most popular. Browse examples online to see how the shape impacts the ring's look.
You can customize eternity bands with different metals, so consider your loved one's metal preferences and skin sensitivities while you browse.
- Platinum: Platinum is a grayish-white color naturally. This metal is a hypoallergenic option with a classic, sophisticated look. One possible con is that the metal does develop a patina over time that could make it look a bit dull. Additionally, platinum costs more than other metals, so keep that in mind.
- Yellow Gold: If you plan to mix metals, keep similar tones together. For example, pair rose gold with yellow gold or platinum with white gold.
- Diamond Type: If you're selecting a lab-created or natural diamond, make sure it's certified by renowned institutes such as IGI and GIA. Certified diamonds are a good way to ensure authenticity, and they also come with details about the quality.
- White Gold: White gold is an alloy (aka a mixture) composed of pure gold and durable metals, such as zinc, nickel, and copper - giving white gold its strength and whiter color. One pro for this metal is that it's more affordable than platinum.
- Rose Gold: Rose gold is made of pure gold mixed with copper and silver alloys that help strengthen it and provide its unique rose color. Rose gold continues to grow in popularity as the years go by.
Eternity Ring Shopping Tips
End with tips to keep in mind when buying an eternity ring. You can talk about the following:
- Gem Color: Select a gemstone that has radiant color and is not too saturated or too light.
- Gem Durability: Research the gem's durability and take this information into account. The Mohs hardness scale provides helpful information to make you make that decision.
- Diamond Choices: Whether you're selecting a lab-created or a natural diamond, make sure it's certified by well-known institutes like IGI and GIA. Certified diamonds ensure authenticity, and they also come with details about the quality.
- Brand: Buy from a reputed brand that offers easy returns and exchanges if you become dissatisfied with the product or have any issues with your ring.
- Budget and Preferences: Keep your budget and your loved one's preferences in mind as you shop for eternity bands.
What is an eternity ring?
How to wear an eternity ring?
In which order do you wear engagement, wedding and eternity rings?
When do you traditionally give an eternity ring?